LASIK Eye Surgery Questions to Ask Your Eye Doctor
Wednesday, July 11 2012
As with any medical procedure, before undergoing LASIK eye surgery, it’s important that you have all the facts. Having a clear understanding of what to expect before, during and after surgery, as well as knowledge of your doctor’s qualifications and how he or she conducts business will help ease your nerves going into surgery. When it comes to your vision, no question should be off limits.
If you are considering LASIK eye surgery, here are a few things to consider and questions to as your doctor:
Questions about your doctor’s qualifications:
- Are you board certified? What certifications do you have?
- How many LASIK procedures have you performed?
- What is your complication rate? How does it compare to the national average?
- Where do you perform your surgeries?
- What is your success rate (or what are your outcome statistics)? How does it compare to the national average?
- What is your policy regarding follow-up in the even to a complication?
- How do you handle enhancement or follow-up procedures? Do you charge? If so, is there a price break? If not, what is your cutoff date for follow-up procedures?
Questions about treatment:
- Will I need treatment in both eyes?
- What are my best options for treatment?
- What should I expect before surgery?
- What should I expect during surgery?
- What should I expect after surgery?
- Will I need contact lenses or glasses after surgery?
- What are the risks involved with each treatment option?
As a patient, you have a right to know everything about your individual case. If you are not comfortable with the answers your doctor provides to these questions, seek another doctor’s opinion.
When considering your eye care, be sure to stay up to date with the latest news and information about our life-changing services at Key-Whitman Eye Center. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay connected!